Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Domestic goddess-ing

So today I took a leaf out of Kirsti’s book and decided to do a bit of baking. I’ve been helping out the lovely folks at my old office (for my sins) mostly as a way of catching up and having a good gossip. Ever since I got back, my ex-colleague Jordane has been bugging me to bake her cupcakes. Tomorrow I’m going in to deal with a massive mailout and taking these with me: 

Hopefully yumptious marshmallow cupcakes


From the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, they are ordinary vanilla sponge fairy cakes but you melt some marshmallows in a bowl over some hot water, pink ones of course, scoop out a bit of the cake fill it with the melted marshmallow and then ice with buttercream icing mixed with mini-marshmallows. Turns out that it’s easier said than done to get melted marshmallow to behave itself in any way, shape or form. I ended up covered in sticky pink mess along with every item of cutlery in the kitchen and there wasn’t much marshmallow inside the cakes at all! 

Melted marshmallow
Big sticky spidery marshmallow mess!

The long and short of it is that I was planning on making these for Bride 1’s hen party but considering the mess they made, I may have to come up with another wee plan! Suggestions on a postcard please....

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I hate it when recipes understate the difficulty involved. Or neglect to mention some fancy tool that does all the work for them.

    I'd eat the cupcakes anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try filling the pans a bit less and sticking a marshmallow in before you bake them? Would make things a wee bit less messy at least!

    And I'm with Kat, I'd eat them anyway!!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about putting the marshmallows in before baking them, might give it a go next time. Took them into work and they went down a treat. I managed to get half of one before they were gobbled and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete